Search This Blog

Monday 8 November 2010

Assignment (Unit 101-105) - Idea Development - WWII: The Story So Far

After finally giving myself a slap around the chops I decided to press forward and get my WWII theme up and running.  This ultimately meant I would have to splash out some cash and ask lots of people for favours.

First, here's the bad news.  I have no money.  Well, I had money until I discovered eBay mobile.  It's just so damn easy to spend a fortune whist sitting in my works canteen.  I still need quite a lot of things.  A British uniform and weapons being my main stumbling blocks at the moment.  Now seriously, who would have thought it would be so hard to come across some authentic WWII guns.  I do have ways around the gun thing though.

The good news.  I have managed to acquire quite a few things off my checklist.  Most notably some fine steel British and German helmets, a German bayonet, gas mask, shells, an ammo crate and various other bits and pieces to add to the theme.  I am currently winning a bid for a German soldiers jacket on eBay and there's only three hours and 39minutes to go so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.  I have also conned two of my friends into starring in my shoot.  I'm sure ill have to pay them with beer though.

I think I have some great stuff and aim to get some test shots done either this week or next week.  I'm just waiting for my extras to sort out some days off so I can dress them up and shoot them.  Not literally.  Well, yes literally actually but with a camera, not guns.

I'm really excited about the prospect of shooting these images.  After all, they have been in my head for such a long time now that I know exactly what I want to capture and how the end results should look.  I have sketched out some of the scenes I'm going to shoot and this should allow me to set up my shots and compositions relatively quickly.  I have also asked my brother to come and document my shoot for me with his camera so everybody can see a genius at work... ha!

For my shoot I have the following equipment at my disposal,
  • Sony Alpha 200 DSLR,
  • Sony Alpha 230 DSLR,
  • Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 lens,
  • Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG MACRO lens,
  • Remote Shutter Release
  • Polarizing filter
  • Tripod
So I'm pretty much good to go as soon as I get the rest of my props.  My main concern is getting arrested for buying all this Nazi memorabilia off eBay.  I'm not a Nazi!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    this sounds like it will be amazing!

    Just thought I should drop you a quick message though. Not knowing when you're going to start shooting I didn't want to wait until wednesday. If it's a genuine WW2 gas mask, make sure whoever's wearing it doesn't breath in anything(I know that will be difficult!) Some of the filters they used to use turn incredibly poisonous over time. You'll get some brilliant phots, but you might kill your friends. I'll leave it up to you to decide which is more important;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends are expendable. Thanks for the warning. It is a genuine WWII gas mask but i'm pretty sure its had the dangerous filter part removed, or so I've been told.

    ReplyDelete