Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Assignment (Unit 101-105) - WWII Shoot - Day 1 Evaluation

Hitler and I had the same problem... 

Now I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to Hitler, for one I am much taller and better looking (in my opinion) and I'm not a genocidal maniac (and have no ambitions to be either).  He was a very naughty boy.  Where it all went wrong for old Adolf is in the ambition (and I guess the mental illness didn't help either) and I'm starting to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew too.


After looking through all the shots from the first day's shoot and having a good long think about my current achievements, I would have to say I'm a tad disappointed.  My shots just didn't have the sharpness I was hoping for, whether this is down to my choice of settings or whether it's down to the crapness of my lens I'm not sure.  It best be the settings (I'm sure that must be it) because I cant afford to buy another lens.  I took a lot of pictures and only thought a couple of them were fairly decent.  Even the decent ones were a bit disappointing upon closer expection.

The problem is, the screen on my camera lied to me.  When viewing back my pictures on the camera they seemed OK.  When I downloaded them to my laptop it all went horribly wrong.  My camera had been playing tricks on me.  Now I know you shouldn't trust the LCD monitor but I was surprised at how different the images were on a better screen.  Even my cameras histogram was playing me for a fool.

Another problem I have had has only become apparent when printing out some of my images.  The colours of my pictures look completely different when printed.  I don't understand why this is happening but it's really annoying the hell out of me.  The colours and brightness appear differently on print.  This is a major concern and one that I hope doesn't spoil my final images.  I have set up my printer to let photoshop manage the colours and this has made some improvements but it's definitely something I need to look further into.

f/5.6 1/8sec ISO-100
This is a bit of a blow for me and my high expectations but I'll have to put things right on Sunday when I go back out to do more shooting.  At least now I know where the good spots in the woods are, I know batteries are kind of important and I know a good choice of footwear is essential (trainers and big puddles of mud do not interact well).

f/5.6 1/2sec ISO-100
I guess I have just got to keep plugging away until I get that magic shot.  I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

War is hell people!

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment