Search This Blog

Monday 8 November 2010

Assignment (Unit 101-105) - Research - Man Ray

Man Ray

The whole Dada and Surrealist movements have been a great source of inspiration for a lot of my own projects.  If I had to fall back on my surrealist theme I would love to do something from the Man Ray school of art.  Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray) was one of many influential artists who embraced the Dada movement.


Observatory Time (above) is one of Man Ray's most reproduced works. I read somewhere that this image was created after Man Ray's relationship with photographer Lee Miller ended and the lips in the sky are a painted reproduction from a photo of her.  Looking at the way the image has been composed, it seems to me that the bottom half of the frame could be reality (the photograph part) while the painted top half could be a dream sequence. What's the significance of the chess set? Who knows?


Le Violin De Ingres was inspired by the painter Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres.  This photograph of model (and Man Ray's lover at the time) Kiki De Montparnasse (Alice Prin) was achieved by painting the f-holes of a violin onto the original photograph print.  This print was then re-photographed.  The armless Kiki (as a violin) is an unusual and slightly humorous picture, the composition reminds me of Joel Peter Witkin's Woman Once A Bird which is why this particular image appeals to me.  You cant help thinking that maybe Man Ray is stating something rather more sinister.  Maybe the fact that Kiki is his instrument to play as and when he pleases.


Tears is a very simple yet stunning photograph.  Dating back to the time of his breakup with Lee Miller you cant help but feel the influence she must have had on him.  Maybe the fact that the tears are fake may show some resentment towards his former lover.  I love the closeness of the crop particularly in this photo.  It's all right there, in your face. 

This final image is possibly one of my personal favourites.  I love the composition, the subtle lighting and the transition between the darkness and light.  The unnatural position of the woman (again showing no arms which seems to be a bit of a theme with Man Ray) seems to suggest a lifeless body possibly recently passed away.  The surrounding darkness could be a representation of death or hell while the fact that the body is beautifully lit suggests heaven or an angelic state.  Maybe I'm just trying to over think things but that's partly down the the beauty of this photograph.  Wether Man Ray meant to portray heaven and hell in this photo I'll never know.


"It has never been my object to record my dreams, just the determination to realize them."  - Man Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment