Search This Blog

Monday 13 December 2010

Assignment (Unit 108) - Research - David Lynch

David Lynch

Best known for directing the films, Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Mullholland Dr. Not to mention his fantastic Twin Peaks TV series, David Lynch is somewhat a hero of mine.  Artist, Director and Photographer, Lynch is the person who I hold in the highest regard.  His endless creativity and 'jack of all trades' mentality is something I aspire to.

David Lynch's movies are filled with so much wonderful imagery that it would take me forever to pick out a few snippets to talk about and seeing as this is a photography blog I think I'll just concentrate on his recent foray into this field.

This small selection of photographs come from Lynch's collaboration with musicians Sparklehorse and Dangermouse.  The images are said to be Lynch's visual interpretation of the music from the album Dark Night Of The Soul.


My favourite image from the project is this image of the three collaborators standing in a field.  It's a very subtle image and the desaturated appearance gives the image a very fantastical quality.  Anyone who is a fan of Lynch expects the unexpected and his photography doesn't disappoint.


The thing about Lynch's work is the absurdity of everything he does.  He's very good at throwing images at you and offers no explanations.  Everything is open to interpretation.  I have seem many similar images to this one and have even tried something similar myself yet the way in which Lynch manages to capture these shots so easily shows he knows what he's doing.  I guess you would expect to have an eye for a shot after so many years making films.


The above image of a giant head on a table is typical Lynch.  The use of photo editing software seamlessly turns a normal scene of a family getting ready to eat dinner into something horrific.  The final image however seems relatively normal in comparison (well, normal in the Lynchian way of having a barbecue in pitch black).  I love the way Lynch has captured the flames rising out of the barbecue.  It's a very nice homely image except for the forks on the left of the photograph resembling something rude.  A lot of Lynch's early films touched on small town suburbia and I feel this image fits in with that theme quite nicely.  



'It's wonderful to imagine that every viewer interprets a picture or film very individually. Some come quite close to my own interpretation; some, however, are miles away form it. When I watch a film or look at a photo, I don't really think about what I'm seeing. I would even go as far as saying - the more abstract, the better.'  - David Lynch

1 comment:

  1. Your research is going great and it's good to see that your blog is flowing nicely...keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete