Search This Blog

Monday 25 October 2010

Assignment (Unit 101-105) - Idea Development - A Day In The Life

Realising that all of my ideas seem to be a tad difficult to shoot (with regards to props, locations, cost etc) I decided to expand on my 'A Day In The Life' theme.  Now this theme wouldn't be hard to shoot.  This theme wouldn't be hard to plan and it wouldn't cost me anything.  All good reasons to go ahead and do this theme you might think.  Well I don't really see it that way.  I like the fact that my other ideas are a bit extravagant and ambitious and if they turn out the way I want them to then it would definitely be worthwhile.

The first thing that popped into my head when I thought of this theme was that I would follow a subject around for a day.  I would show that person doing everyday tasks, like getting up in the morning, washing, eating breakfast, going to work, maybe catch them going out for a drink etc.

After thinking about this theme my mind started to wonder and a simple theme started to turn into a more ambitious and difficult monster.  I thought I could do photographs inspired by the Beatles song "A Day In The Life" from the album "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band."

I read the news today, oh boy . . .
About a lucky man who made the grade;
And though the news was rather sad,
Well, I just had to laugh—
I saw the photograph . . .

He blew his mind out in a car;
He didn't notice that the lights had changed.
A crowd of people stood and stared;
They'd seen his face before;
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today, oh boy;
The English Army had just won the war.
A crowd of people turned away;
But I just had to look,
Having read the book.
I'd love to turn you on . . .

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head;
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup;
And looking up, I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat,
Made the bus in seconds flat;
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke;
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream . . .

I read the news today, oh boy;
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire;
And though the holes were rather small,
They had to count them all.
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on . . .

This song is full of great imagery and isn't that far from my first idea.  I feel that some particular scenes would be a tad awkward to shoot.  Most notably the "He blew his mind out in a car," verse and the "Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire" verse.  I guess photoshop could come in handy for that.  If I did have to fall back on my "A Day In The Life" theme I would probably have to go for my original idea although the Beatles idea is much more appealing to me. 

I always seem to turn easy into difficult.  My ambition knows no boundaries.  Unfortunately my ambition doesn't know sense either.  

1 comment:

  1. Ha, your last sentence sums you up! Its great that your having all these really fantastic ideas, and they are fantastic! You really need to settle on a few ideas though, or even one as i feel that your not going to be able to keep it simple!
    I love them all but only you can really decide for sure! You need to be realistic and think about what your capable of achieving in the time frame that you have. I'm sure that if you had the time and money you could do great things and you still can, just simplify your master plans a little.
    You can always take your ideas further at level 2 and 3! Pick out a couple of your fav ideas and we can have a chat on wednesday. I dont want to squish your passion, i think all your ideas are great, I just dont want you to put to much pressure on yourself at this point in your learning :)

    ReplyDelete