Search This Blog

Thursday 14 October 2010

Assignment (Unit 101-105) - Idea Development - WWII

The First and Second World Wars have fascinated me for as long as I can remember.  So much tragedy in so few years.  I cant help but hold those who fought in the highest regards (not to mention those who fed, clothed and worked around the clock to keep the troops armed).

For a long time now I have had this vivid picture in my head.  A picture that's been there for so long that I know exactly how I want it to look.  My big dilemma is whether to throw my idea out to the world (or the few people who might actually be paying attention to my rabbiting).  I was all prepared to do so until my friend Ian suggested that someone might steal my ideas.  Now I'm sure nobody on my course would do such a thing, but there are eyes everywhere.

So instead of  letting out any details, I'll give you the gist.  Basically I would like to do a series of photo's depicting a British and German soldier in the middle of a battle (not necessarily showing the battle raging) chilling out, and that's all I'll say on the matter. 

There are a few photographers that have influenced the way I see the pictures in my head.  Don McCullin, James Nachtwey, Joseph John Rosenthal (see pic) and Christopher Morris to name a few.

Raising The Flag On Iwo Jima
There are a number of obstacles to overcome if I am going to pull off the shots I want with the three main ones being:-
  • Uniforms
  • Weapons 
  • Location
The most authentic uniforms I have found on the net are stupidly expensive.  I have managed to find some cheaper alternatives although these are in the £20-30 price range.  If the costumes turn out to be cheap looking I can always rough up the costumes to make them look better.

Weapons, like costumes are pretty expensive.  I have searched the net for alternatives but at the moment there doesn't appear to be a budget option.

I have a few ideas for a location shoot.  Firstly, at home in Tamworth an old shopping precinct is being demolished to make way for a shopping centre.  At the moment it's a great big mess of bricks and rubble.  If I can get myself into gear I could get some great pictures.  I might even go out and shoot some foreground and background shots in case I need to do some photoshop work.

Secondly, on the outskirts of Tamworth there just happens to be one of the UK's leading Paintball sites.  They own acres of land and some of these gaming areas are themed.  That means there's jeeps, helicopters and old wooden huts lying around everywhere you look.  I may have to make a few phone calls.

I really hope this theme works out.  I don't want to put myself out of pocket but if I have to spend a little then I don't mind.

Damn me and my ambitious ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment