Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Assignment (Unit 101-105) - Idea Development - Superheroes

Superheroes

From the many ideas I have floating around my mind, the one that sticks out so vividly is my Superheroes theme.  Now I don't want to go around taking pictures of people in fancy dress looking like Batman and Robin, I would like to do some proper realistic documentary style photographs.

Everyone loves Superheroes and in America there are actually people who go out into the night to fight crime.  These guys have no special powers, just a lot of guts (or lack of sense) and they decorate themselves in fantastic outfits and believe they are actually helping society.

"Apparently, in Indianapolis, the Justice Society of Justice is laying the smacketh down on real life crime. These are real people dressing up in costumes going out and fighting crime. Mr. Silent and Doktor DiscorD have Myspace accounts where you can read more about them and their exploits." - from superherolives.com.

My approach to this subject, although in documentary style would be influenced by Alan Moore's Watchmen.  Watchmen is the tale of a bunch of flawed individuals trying to save the world.  The graphic novel and motion picture are full of fantastic imagery that would adapt well to my project.  Watchmen may also be the inspiration for many of these possible nut jobs who spend all night trying to fight crime and more likely, running away from it.

The images I have in my head would include these 'heroes' fighting everyday crime in the dark and dirty corners of our towns.  I would also like to get some shots of them standing proud on the rooftops looking out over their territory.  Thinking about it in detail, I would like to produce these photographs in black and white.  I feel this would enhance the documentary/gritty feel.  On some images I could add little bits of colour.  Maybe I could have the superhero, or just part of the costume could be colour. 

Anyway, that's my musings on this idea for the time being.  The question is, "Will my friends dress up like idiots for me?"  I hope to go out and do some test shots for this theme as soon as I can find a willing subject.


watchmen minutemen 1940
The Minutemen from the film Watchmen


No comments:

Post a Comment