Search This Blog

Monday 4 October 2010

Composition Exercise

After learning about composition in last weeks lesson, it was time to go out and try to capture some of the key composition aspects.  Some of these aspects were easier than others to achieve and this is the best of the bunch.
f/10 1/200sec ISO 100
The path in this picture draws the viewer into the scene.  To achieve this shot I had to lie on my stomach which makes the crops look larger than they actually were.  In actual fact they were only up to my knees.  This picture also gives you a good sense of distance.  I had to tidy up the centre of the path using the clone tool in photoshop.

f/5.6 1/100sec ISO 400
Finding an appropriate picture to show 'framing within a frame' proved fairly difficult.  Whist out and about with a few of my friends we decided to defy our ages and go and play on the kids playground.  It was in the kids playground that I noticed what I can only describe as 'a pretty cool multi levelled rope thingy.'  After positioning my friends in a few different poses I finally found one that worked quite nicely.  I then converted this to black and white using photoshop.

f/4 1/320 sec ISO 400
This shot shows the use of angles.  I approached the statue from a low angle to cut out any distracting background. I slightly tilted the image so the head of the statue remained pretty central.  I slightly tweaked the contrast to make the image a bit bolder.


f6.3 1/125 sec ISO 100
To show the 'Rule of Thirds' I specifically positioned this statue so that only the face would be visible to the left of the frame.  I chose not to include the rest of the statue because the photo would have looked too 'busy.'  I used a narrow depth of field to blur out the background.

f/2.8 1/250 sec ISO 400
Finally, this close up picture of a tiled bathroom wall gives off an unusual effect.  The angle the photo was taken at adds to the effect.  These patterned or textured photos can be really useful for merging with other photos on photoshop (see below) so I think it's always good to have a nice supply saved to your computer. 

f/5.6 1/2 sec ISO 400
There were a few images that I took to show reflections and shadows but I really wasn't happy with the way they turned out.  It's all part of the learning curve I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave, your clearly showing your understanding of the tasks to date and making decisions about whether or not you like an image or not and explaining why you do or dont like it! Your very aware of your own abilities which is going to be of great use as you become a more advanced photographer. Your use of camera controls along with great composition is visable in your work, more practice will give you more confidence in your own ability.

    ReplyDelete